Now set your heart and soul to seek the LORD your God. Get started building the sanctuary of the LORD God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD and the holy articles of God into the temple that will be built for the Name of the LORD."
I. Note first, as here described, THE NATURE AND CHARACTER OF THE BUILDING. It was "the sanctuary of the Lord God;" it was to be built "to the Name of the Lord." A Divine dwelling, a habitation for the Most High, a holy place. In all this an emblem of the temple of our Saviour's body, and of that spiritual house which is the temple of the Holy Ghost.
II. Remark next, THE PURPOSE OF THE BUILDING. It was to contain "the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and the holy vessels of God." That is to say, it was not only the locality of God's manifested presence, but it was the scene of sacrifice and worship and the centre of the nation's religion. This gave a practical and political significance to the erection of the sanctuary.'
III. Instructive is the account given of THE DISPOSITION AND SPIRIT OF THE BUILDERS. The work was not to be done mechanically, or from a feeling of constraint. They were to "set their heart and their soul to seek the Lord their God." That is, they were to undertake the work as one distinctively religious, and from a religious motive and with a religious aim.
1. Let everything that is God's engage your sympathy and interest and zeal. Let each Christian hear the voice from heaven saying to him, "Arise, and build."
2. Let God's work be done in a devout and religious spirit. In serving the Lord seek him, and he will be found of you. - T.
I. The OBJECT searched.
Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God.I. THE OCCASION ON WHICH THIS INJUNCTION WAS GIVEN.
II. THE INJUNCTION ITSELF.
1. The great object of our life.
2. In what way we are to prosecute it.(1) Avail yourselves of the opportunities afforded for public usefulness.(2) Begin with the surrender of your whole souls to God.
(C. Simeon, M. A.)
II. The METHOD of search.
I. THE HEART SET UPON GOD.
2. It must be heart-work, not merely duty, custom, or sympathy.
4. There must be continued seeking God, in prayer, meditation, holy living.
II. THE BUILDING-WORK GOING ON. The living Church is God's sanctuary. He dwells in the hearts of His people (John 14:23; 2 Corinthians 6:16; 1 Corinthians 3:16). The work of Christ's followers is to build the sanctuary.
1. By gathering souls out of the world around to Christ.
2. By gathering souls into the Church, uniting in one body in Christ.
III. THE SANCTUARY USED FOR GOD. Union in the Church must be —
1. For consecration. The temple is not for ornament, nor for the admiration of the world, but for God.
3. For service: "Bring the holy vessels," etc. Each vessel has its use.
(J. E. Sampson.)
I. IN ITS REFERENCE TO GOD'S OWN PEOPLE.
1. What are they to seek? "The Lord your God."(1) By endeavouring to obey Him in everything.(2) In building up His temple. It should be the main object of our life to seek the Lord by building up His Church.(3) By doing everything to God's glory.
2. How are they to seek? "Set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God."(1) With fixity of purpose: "Set."(2) Have an intense affection towards God's service and glory.(3) With an energetic use of the intellect. We ought as much to speculate and scheme to glorify God as we meditate how to advance our business.(4) By the union and concentration of all our faculties.
3. When are we to seek the Lord? "Now." Now is the only time worth having, because it is indeed the only time we have. When did David mean by his "now"?(1) Now that they had an efficient leader — Solomon.(2) When God is with you.(3) When God gives rest. "Hath He not given you rest on every side?"
II. IN ITS REFERENCE TO THOSE WHO ARE CONVERTED.
1. Set your heart on true religion, and be not content with the outward form of it.
2. Seek the Lord Himself.
3. Seek Him at once with all your heart.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Links1 Chronicles 22:19 NIV
1 Chronicles 22:19 NLT
1 Chronicles 22:19 ESV
1 Chronicles 22:19 NASB
1 Chronicles 22:19 KJV
1 Chronicles 22:19 Bible Apps
1 Chronicles 22:19 Parallel
1 Chronicles 22:19 Biblia Paralela
1 Chronicles 22:19 Chinese Bible
1 Chronicles 22:19 French Bible
1 Chronicles 22:19 German Bible
1 Chronicles 22:19 Commentaries