What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray to him?
1. The pleasure and satisfaction immediately attending the several acts and instances of a devout temper
2. Prayer by a natural influence calms our passions and makes Us considerate and wise.
3. Prayer establishes our integrity and virtue against temptations; thus makes us happy in ourselves, and gains us the esteem and confidence of others, which are of the utmost advantage in life.
4. Prayer will produce a noble joy and confidence in God, and a permanent cheerfulness and tranquillity, amidst all the uncertainty of events.
5. If we can trust to the clearest dictates of reason, or to the most express promises of revelation, a religious temper and conduct will certainly procure for us peculiar guidance, assistances, and supplies from an ever-present God, though we cannot always distinctly know and assign them.
6. Prayer is the best relief in all distress, and especially when death approaches.
Parallel VersesKJV: What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?