And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was on them all.
I. THE GREAT FACT TO WHICH THEY GAVE TESTIMONY.
1. This fact was of essential importance in the Christian scheme. All the great events of our Lord's history are of vast importance, both in themselves or in their relation to each other. What would the death of Christ have availed if He had not also risen?
2. The apostles were witnesses of it. Hence they were prepared everywhere to vindicate the doctrine of the Resurrection.
II. THE CHARACTER OF THEIR TESTIMONY. "Power" may refer to —
1. The miracle they wrought.
2. The unction, the energy, the extraordinary influence of their ministry.
3. Their marvellous success.
III. THE ABUNDANT GRACE WITH WHICH THEY WERE ENDOWED. "Great grace." Application:
1. Let us learn to give great prominence to the fundamental doctrines and facts of Christianity.
2. Let us remember that the success of our labours depends not only on what is preached, but very greatly on how it is preached.
3. Let us all, and always, mind to have great grace — the grace of humility, of patience, of charity, of faith — if we would have great success.
(W. Antliff, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.