And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely…
Note some respects in which the world shames the Church.
1. There is the clearness of vision with which the worldly man perceives the object of his pursuit.
2. There is the unremitting effort with which, in relation to the attainment of this world's good, men pursue their object. Religion is not so real to most of us as markets and money are to merchants.
3. Think how careful men of the world are to use all their resources for the attainment of their end. No drones. No square men in round holes..
4. Think how determinedly the children of this world refuse to be deterred from prosecuting their schemes by the temporary failure of their efforts.
5. Is it not true that even the children of light themselves prosecute their worldly affairs in far more vigorous fashion than their religious duties? Does not care sometimes wellnigh crowd prayer out of our lives? Are we not all too prone to count our own private business that which must be done, and God's work that which may be done?
(J. R. Bailey.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.