Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said to him, Do you believe on the Son of God?…
I. THE NATURE OF THIS QUESTION. Faith implies —
1. Implicitly to credit the records of God concerning His Son.
2. Genuine trust in Him, sealed by the Holy Spirit.
3. Divine reception of Him.
4. It is also to realize His gracious presence in the soul in the lively exercise of every Christian duty.
II. HELPS TOWARDS ANSWERING THIS QUESTION.
1. Faith is a Divine principle, and is Divinely bestowed.
2. Faith is a self-evident principle, and if you believe on Christ you are assured of it.
3. Faith is a victorious principle, and conquers all adverse powers.
4. Faith is a practical principle, and evinces itself in believers.
III. REASONS WHY AN ANSWER SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THIS QUESTION.
1. This question is most important, both from the person proposing it, and the tremendous consequences connected therewith.
2. This question is personal.
3. This question is simple, and not complex; so that under the Divine and covenant teaching of the Holy Ghost, a child may understand it.
4. This question is doubtful, because all men have not faith.
(T. B. Baker, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?