And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.…
I. NOTICE SOME OF THE HEIGHTS FROM WHICH GOD'S PEOPLE ARE FETCHED DOWN BY THAT GOSPEL.
1. High thoughts of self-importance (2 Corinthians 10:4, 5).
2. Natural efforts, or legal endeavours (Romans 10:3).
3. From the basis of false hopes (Job 8:13).
4. From carnal confidence (Jeremiah 2:37).
5. From vain apologies for sin.
II. THEIR SENSATIONS IN COMING DOWN.
1. In spiritual consideration (Psalm 119:59).
2. In deep anxiety for salvation (.Acts 16:30).
3. In despair of salvation but by God (Jeremiah 3:23).
4. In gracious resolutions (Luke 15:18).
5. To self-denying practices (Matthew 16:24).
6. To God's righteousness (Romans 3:21).
III. SOME REMARKS ON THE DAY OF CONVERSION.
1. It is our new birth-day (Isaiah 43:1).
2. A day of despatch — Come down (Hebrews 3:15).
3. Of love and kindness (Ezekiel 16:6).
4. Of union between Christ and the soul (Hosea 2:20).
IV. REASONS WHY THE LORD CALLS US DOWN.
1. Because it is God's design in the Gospel (Isaiah 2:11-17).
2. Because ascending too high is very dangerous.
3. That free grace may be exalted.
4. That we may meet with Christ (Isaiah 57:16).INFERENCES: —
1. How high and lofty man is in his natural state.
2. Hence God humbles him for his eternal good.
3. The nature of true faith is coming down.
4. Admire the riches of God's grace towards us.
(T. B. Baker.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.