2 Timothy 2:22
Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
For thy help take these directions: —
1. Be at peace with God; for that will keep thy heart and mind in the acknowledgment and love of the truth (Philippians 4:7, 9).
2. Have peace with thyself. In all things be in subjection to the Spirit (James 3:14, 15). For if wars be in us, peace will not be without us (Galatians 6:16),
3. Depart with part of thine own rights; so did Abraham to Lot (Genesis 13:9). Christ paid tribute to preserve peace (Matthew 17., ult.). And for peace sake we should suffer wrong (1 Corinthians 6:7).
4. Abandon self-love, and pray for peace. When men will have their own actions still go forward, without doubt, it is a work of the flesh (Galatians 6:20).For motives —
1. Are we not the sons of God? and is not He the King of Peace? (1 Corinthians 14:83).
2. Be we not subjects to Him who is the Prince of Peace? (Isaiah 9:6).
3. Is not a Christian called to live in peace? (1 Corinthians 7:15).
4. And if we continue in peace, will not the God of love and peace be with us? (2 Corinthians 13:11).
(J. Barlow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.