2 Timothy 2:8
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
I. DIVINE TRUTHS ARE TO BE REMEMBERED. II. REMEMBERING IS A REFLECTING OF THE EYE OF OUR MIND ON THAT WHICH BY THE SENSES OR THE UNDERSTANDING HATH BEEN PERCEIVED. In remembrance are four things to be considered.
1. The apprehension of an object by the external or internal senses.
2. A reposing of it in the memory.
3. A retaining of it there.
4. A reflecting of the eye of the understanding on it. This last act is properly called remembrance.Helps follow.
1. Get a true understanding of things..
2. Meditate much on that thou wouldst remember. Roll the thing to and fro in thy mind, look often at it, mark it well; so shall it, like a bird by struggling in the gin or lime bush, stick faster.
3. Labour for love. Will a maid forget her ornament? a bride her attire? the covetous man his coin, lad long ago in some secret corner? Wherefore, love the Word once, and then forget it if thou canst.
4. Be jealous of thy remembrance. He who carrieth a vessel in his hand may suddenly let it fall; whereas had he feared he would have held it faster. For jealousy, though a bad getter, is an excellent keeper.
5. Use repetition. Have that oft in thy tongue thou wouldst hold in thy mind. For repetition, like a mallet, will cause the piles of Divine truths to stick fast in the soil of man's memory.
6. Study for method. Things in order laid in the head will with the more facility be held. Method (say some) is the mother of memory.
III. THE CHOICEST OF DIVINE TRUTHS ARE CHIEFLY TO BE REMEMBERED. Have thy senses exercised, through long custom, to discern betwixt things that differ — good and evil.
(J. Barlow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: