As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you in him:…
I. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE BEGINS IN A PERSONAL RECEPTION OF CHRIST. "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord." Religion is the receiving of a Divine gift. It is the growth and development of the supernatural in man. Christ is received —
1. As the Christ. The Colossian heresy aimed at subverting the true idea of the Anointed One, commissioned by the Father to effect the reconciliation of the world to Himself; it interposed a series of angelic mediators. To receive the Son of God effectually is to receive Him in all that He claimed to be, and to do, as the Divine, specially-anointed Son, who is the only mediator between man and God. It is of unspeakable importance to catch the true idea of the character and office of Christ at the beginning of the Christian life.
2. As Jesus the Lord. Our reception of Christ does not place us beyond the reach of law, but creates in us the capacity for rendering an intelligent and cheerful obedience.
3. By an act of faith. To receive Christ is to believe in Him.
II. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS GOVERNED BY THE LAW OF CHRIST, To walk in Christ implies —
1. A recognition of Him in all things. In everything that constitutes our daily life — business, home, society, friendships, pleasures, cares, etc., we may trace the presence of Christ and recognize His rule.
2. A complete consecration to Him.
3. A continual approximation to the highest fife in Him.
III. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS SUPPORTED AND ESTABLISHED BY FAITH IN FULLY DECLARED TRUTH,
IV. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE HAS ITS MOST APPROPRIATE OUTFLOW IN THANKSGIVING. This is the end of all human conduct. Thanksgiving should be expressed in every word and appear in every action.
Parallel VersesKJV: As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: