Mortify therefore your members which are on the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence…
I. THE SINFUL PRINCIPLE HAS AN ACTIVE OUTWARD DEVELOPMENT.
1. It is mundane in its tendencies. "Your members," etc. It teaches the soul to grovel when it ought to soar.
2. It is manifested in acts of gross sensuality. "Fornication," etc.
3. It is recognized by debasing idolatry. Covetousness is insatiable lust for material possessions.
II. THE ACTIVE OUTGOINGS OF THE SINFUL PRINCIPLE CALL FOR DIVINE VENGEANCE (ver. 6). The wrath of God is not a malignant unreasoning passion. Nor is it a figure of speech into which the maudlin philosophers of the day would fain resolve it, but an awful reality.
III. THE INDULGENCE OF THE SINFUL PRINCIPLE IN MAN IS INCONSISTENT WITH THE NEW LIFE HE HAS IN CHRIST (ver. 7).
IV. THAT THE SINFUL PRINCIPLE IN MAN IS THE SOURCE OF THE MOST MALIGNANT PASSIONS (vers. 8, 9). The former classification embraced sins which related more especially to self: this includes sins which have a bearing upon others.
1. There are sins of the heart and temper.
2. There are sins of the tongue.
V. THE SINFUL PRINCIPLE IN MAN, AND ALL ITS OUT-GOINGS, MUST BE WHOLLY RENOUNCED AND RESOLUTELY MORTIFIED. "Now ye also put off all these" (vers. 8, 9).
Parallel VersesKJV: Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: