And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
I. WAS OVER THE POWERS OF EVIL.
1. The existence of evil is a painful fact, we meet with it everywhere.
2. Evil is embodied in invisible and potent personalities, called —
(1) Principalities, because of their excellency, knowledge, and station.
(2) Powers, because of the mighty influence they wield and the terrible havoc they work. They exist in vast numbers (2 Peter 4:2; Jude 1:6), and are the bitter foes of man (Ephesians 6:12).
II. WAS ACHIEVED AFTER SEVERE CONFLICT. The conflict was —
1. Continuous from the Fall to the Cross.
3. Deadly (Luke 22:53; John 12:30).
III. WAS SIGNAL AND COMPLETE. Lessons:
1. Christ has conquered the powers of evil.
2. To the believer ultimate victory is certain.
3. Keep up a brave heart in the fiercest conflict.
Parallel VersesKJV: And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.