This is my comfort in my affliction: for your word has quickened me.
I. IN OUR AFFLICTION, THE WORD OF GOD QUICKENS TO COMFORT.
1. By leading us to God, who is able to bless.
2. By showing us that God is willing and waiting to bless.
3. By throwing a mild and beautiful light on Providence.
4. By spreading before us " exceeding great and precious promises," which adapt themselves with a fine flexibility to all the varieties of our experience.
5. By establishing in our hearts the anticipation of another and a sorrowless life.
II. IN OUR AFFLICTION THE WORD OF GOD NOT ONLY QUICKENS TO COMFORT, BUT ALSO COMFORTS TO QUICKEN. First the Word becomes life, and then comfort; and then, through the comfort, the Word becomes further and fuller life. How?
1. By confirming our faith.
2. By giving new scope and ardour to gratitude and love. The Divine Word helps us to see that the Divine chastening is the sign and manifestation of the Divine mercy.
3. By stimulating the spirit of prayer.
4. By spiritualizing our tastes and aspirations.
5. By restraining our tendencies to wander from God.
(J. P. Barnett.)
Parallel VersesKJV: This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.