And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were near.
This refers not merely to the time Christ lived as a Man upon earth, but also to His preaching through the Spirit in all after ages.
1. Christ is so absent from us, that He has not quite forsaken us. Whenever His Word is effectual, that is the entrance of Christ into the heart.
2. What Christ purchased for us on the Cross, He applies to us by the ministry of the Word. To enjoy Christ, make much of the gospel, which is news from heaven touching righteousness and life eternal.
3. Christ is present, and has a part in preaching even when men preach.
4. Christ preaches to all, whether Jew or Gentile, to the end of the world.
5. After the death of Christ all are preached to.
6. The gospel of Christ, which He and His ministers preach, is a gospel of peace.
Parallel VersesKJV: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.