1 Thessalonians 5:21
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
I. THE EXHORTATION.
1. What are those good things which we have to hold fast.
(1) The Gospel and the way of salvation by Christ.
(2) That truth, in particular, which relates to the person and work of Christ (Revelation 3:8).
(3) The good treasure lodged in our hearts or placed in our hands.
(4) Our spiritual comforts and whatever contributes to the peace and purity of our minds.
(5) A line of conduct consistent with the Word of God.
(6) An open profession of religion.
2. How are we to hold them fast. It supposes —
(1) That our judgment concerning them is fixed.
(2) That we retain them in our memory (1 Corinthians 15:2; 2 Peter 1:15).
(3) A high esteem and warm affection.
(4) Resistance to all opposition.
II. THE MOTIVES.
1. The honour of God requires that we should hold fast what He has revealed.
2. The things we are required to hold fast are good in themselves.
3. If we part with the good we shall retain the evil, and cannot easily recover what we have lost.
4. If we disobey, what account shall we give another day? Hence we learn —
(1) That nothing but true religion will stand its ground.
(2) That perseverance in the way of truth and holiness is necessary to eternal happiness (Hebrews 10:38).
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.