Then said Jesus again to them, I go my way, and you shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: where I go, you cannot come.…
Our Lord spoke as One having authority, as a king from the throne, a judge from the tribunal.
I. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR BELIEVING IN CHRIST.
1. A deep sense of our need of Him as the only and all-sufficient Saviour. "They that are whole need not a physician" (Isaiah 27:13; Matthew 9:12).
2. A giving full credit to the gospel revelation concerning Him in His Person, offices, and work.
3. A full conviction of conscience arising —
(1) From a discernment of the excellency of what is revealed.
(2) From the manner in which it is revealed.
4. A removal of all enmity and aversion to Christ.
5. A. powerful attraction of the whole soul to Christ, a closing in with the gospel way of salvation, and a cleaving to Him with full purpose of heart.
II. THE AWFUL CONSEQUENCES OF UNBELIEF (Ezekiel 3:18). Unbelievers —
1. Die in a state of guilt and under condemnation. Their conscience condemns them because they have defiled it; the law, because they have broken it; the gospel, because they have rejected it. This condemnation is now (John 3:18).
2. Die under the power and dominion of sin (Revelation 22:11).
3. Dying in their sins, they sink under everlasting punishment. Those who sin against the remedy perish without it.
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.