At that day you shall ask in my name: and I say not to you, that I will pray the Father for you:…
We have here —
I. AN AMIABLE CHARACTER. The saint's love is the love of —
1. Of a debtor to his surety.
2. One friend to another.
3. A brother.
4. A wife to her husband.
5. A scholar to his teacher.
6. A servant to his master.
7. A loyal subject to his king.
II. A DISTINGUISHING PRIVILEGE.
1. God's love to us is prior to our love to Christ.
2. Our love to Christ is not the cause but the effect of God's love to us.
3. God's love to us is infinitely superior to our love to Christ.
4. Though God's love is the same to all the saints, yet the manifestations of it are not so.Conclusion:
1. Serious self-examination, "Lovest thou Me."
2. Subjects for astonishment, gratitude and praise.
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: