My soul follows hard after you: your right hand upholds me.
I. WHAT IS IMPLIED. Following hard after God supposes —
1. A previous acquaintance with Him. Holy affections are not heat without light, but light and heat combined; the mind is both illuminated and sanctified.
2. Ardent and intense desires.
3. Laborious exertion.
4. Perseverance in seeking. His seeming slights shall only increase their importunity.
II. WHY DAVID THUS FOLLOWED HARD AFTER GOD.
1. Guilt and distress followed hard after him.
2. His enemies followed hard after him.
3. He had followed hard after other things to no purpose.
4. We may add, the powerful attractives of divine grace. The reason why David followed after God was, that goodness and mercy followed after him.
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.