Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said to him, Do you believe on the Son of God?…
I. THE IMPORTANCE OF THE QUESTION.
1. It is of great extent and includes things of the highest moment. It is not am I a Churchman or a Dissenter, etc., but am I a believer in Christ, regenerate or unregenerate? a friend of God or His enemy? on my way to heaven or hell?
2. We are apt to take it for granted that we believe in Christ without sufficient evidence. But if we hate to be imposed upon in little matters let us not impose upon ourselves in this. Is it a thing of inheritance or of conscious exercise?
3. The decision of this question can be in no way hurtful to us, but may be much to our advantage. If we do not believe and are not saved, now is the accepted time, believe now.
4. The question will be decided some day. Whether a believer or not will be ascertained at the judgment seat.
II. ITS APPLICATION.
1. Have we ever been convinced of sin? We must know that we are diseased ere we trust the physician.
2. Have we ever been stripped of our vain hopes and carnal confidences? Till we have we shall not see the necessity of Christ.
3. What is our disposition with respect to real godliness? If we do not love holiness we shall not believe (1 Timothy 1:15).
4. Is Christ exceedingly precious to our esteem? An infallible evidence of saving faith (1 Peter 2:7).
5. Have we peace (Romans 5:1).
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?