You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.
1. The teaching of the New Testament is that love is the only religion.
2. It teaches that love is a comprehensive disposition.
3. There is no worship of God which is an equivalent or substitute for love. "If thou bring thy gift to the altar."
4. No man can love God except through the practice of loving men.
5. Love carries with it a double capacity, of perceiving an ideal excellence, and of loving men who represent the opposite. Love goes out to men, not according to their righteousness, but according to their needs.
6. True gospel love is a love that re-creates men.
Parallel VersesKJV: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.