I will make your name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise you for ever and ever.
I. CHRIST'S NAME.
1. We find Him called "the mighty God" (Isaiah 9:6).
2. His name is "Immanuel," that is, "God with us" (Matthew 1:23). God in our nature, God on our side.
3. We find Him called "the Messiah."
4. Another name whereby He is called is "Jesus," a Saviour.
5. Another name whereby our glorious surety is designed is, "the Lord our righteousness" (Jeremiah 23:6).
II. SOME THINGS IMPORTED IN THE PROMISE.
1. That it is no easy matter to keep up the remembrance of Christ's name in a sinful world. To do it is a work that God hath taken into His own hand in an eminent manner.
2. That Christ's name is very dear and precious to God the Father.
3. The maintenance and preservation of all the means of Divine appointment for keeping up the remembrance of Christ's name.
(1) That God will have a professing and confessing Church, in one place or other of the world, in all generations.
(2) Thai the Scriptures shall be preserved in all generations.
(3) That the glorious Gospel shall be preached in all generations.
(4) That the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper shall be administered in all generations.
III. As CHRIST'S NAME SHALL BE REMEMBERED IN ALL GENERATIONS, SO THERE SHALL BE A PEOPLE PRAISING HIM FOR EVER AND EVER.
1. Mention a few things whirls we take to be supposed in a person or people their praising Christ.
(1). We think this exercise of praising Christ supposes saving acquaintance with Him. Those only are in case to praise Christ to whom He hath manifested forth His glory and given the spiritual eye to behold it.
(2) The promise that Christ shall be praised in all generations supposes that there shall be some inspired with true love to Him in every generation.
(3) The exercise of giving praise and thanks to Christ supposes a humble and thankful frame of spirit.
2. That there shall lie a people praising Christ for ever and over. This truth will appear —
(1) When it is considered that Jehovah the Father hath engaged Himself, by promise to Christ, theft He shall still be praised (Isaiah 53:11; Psalm 22:30, 31).
(2) When we consider that the great and leading design of Christ in the whole work of redemption and salvation is to bring in a revenue of praise to the crown of heaven.
IV. THE GROUNDS AND REASONS FOR WHICH THERE SHALL BE A PEOPLE PRAISING CHRIST FOR EVER AND EVER.
1. On account of His own personal dignity, worth and excellency.
2. On account of what He has done for them (Revelation 5:9).
3. For what He is and ever will continue to be unto them.
(1) Hence, see the sinfulness, folly and vanity of every endeavour to blot out the remembrance of Christ's name.
(2) We may see what is the duty of all who would evidence themselves to be really the friends of Christ. Do you then ask, after what manner shall we, who are in a private station, contribute our share to the keeping up of the remembrance of Christ's name? You are to contribute to the keeping up the remembrance of Christ's name by making an open and explicit acknowledgment of all His truths before the world when you have a call in providence to do it. You are to make conscience of observing the worship of God in your families. You are to contribute your share to the keeping up of the remembrance of Christ's name in the world by a holy and circumspect walk and conversation.
Parallel VersesKJV: I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever.