And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
I. THE PRICELESS LEGACY — Christ left peace with His followers as His last and best gift. "Peace I leave with you," etc. The apostle in speaking of it gives us two descriptive particulars. He calls it —
1. The peace of God. No one else can give peace. No one else could ensure peace. No one else could possess peace.
2. Which passeth all understanding. The worldling cannot understand it. The Christian cannot understand it. Angels cannot understand it. It is so far removed from all that is material and sensible.
II. THE MIGHTY EFFECTS — "Shall keep your hearts and minds." Here is a power more mighty than the universe. Silence is sometimes more powerful than speech; love is more mighty than rage. So peace is more powerful than storm.
1. It keeps the heart from fear. There can be no fear of man, no fear of the world, no fear of death, no fear of hell in the heart where dwells the peace of God.
2. It keeps the heart from ambition. Ambition is the chief cause of trouble. He who has the peace of God has every ambition satisfied. He desires nothing else.
3. It keeps the heart from strife. There can be no contention where there is peace.
4. It keeps the mind from doubt. Probably by mind the apostle means the intellect as distinguished from the affections. The man who has no doubts is fixed on a rock. Even the poorest, the meanest, the most illiterate can enjoy the trust.
III. THE BLESSED MEANS — "Through Christ Jesus." Christ is the medium through which the possibility of peace came at first. Christ is the channel through which it flows at present. He is the propitiation for sins; therefore He brings peace to the conscience. He is the power of God; therefore He brings peace to those who are weak and in fear. He is the path to heaven; therefore He brings confidence to these who are pilgrims. He is the Prince of Peace; therefore He is the delight of all His subjects.
(J. J. S. Bird, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.