Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.…
1. It was night, The disciples were alone, which made it double night.
2. It was night at sea. To be without Jesus in the day and on land was sad, but this was sadder.
3. It was a night of toil: rowing four miles in the teeth of the wind; and Christ's absence made their labour doubly hard.
4. It was a night of danger. The storm had broken loose and there was no Jesus. Let us look at these works in their more general aspect in relation to the Saint and to the Church.
1. The sinner's history is one long starless night.
2. The saint has his night, too, of sorrow, bereavement, and pain.
3. The Church, too, has her night — poverty, persecution, desertion. There shall be no night there, but there is night now.
II. NIGHT WITHOUT JESUS.
1. The sinner's night is altogether without Him.
2. The saint has night when Jesus seems distant. Without Him altogether we cannot be — "Lo, I am with you always." But there are times when He is not realized; and the issue of these is to bring Him nearer.
III. NIGHT WITH JESUS. With Him the darkness is as the light. For having Him we have —
6. Assurance of the coming day.
IV. DAY WITH JESUS. He does not say, "Let Me go, for the day breaketh." And if His presence has made the night pleasant, what will not that presence make the coming day!
(H. Bonar, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.