For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. CONFIRM THE TRUTH OF THIS ASSERTION.
1. He is of the Father's choice and nomination for a Counsellor to us — "made of God unto us wisdom."
2. He is the saints' choice in all ages for a Counsellor.
3. He never misses the point in His counselling.
II. WHEREIN DOTH CHRIST COUNSEL SINNERS!
1. In their greatest concerns, their concerns for eternity.
2. In their lesser concerns, the things of time.
III. HOW DOTH CHRIST GIVE HIS COUNSEL?
1. He proposes His counsel in and by His Word.
2. He clears and opens and confirms it by His providence.
3. He makes it effectual by His Holy Spirit.
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.