Why God also has highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:…
I. The first step was HIS RESURRECTION.
II. The second HIS ASCENSION.
III. The third HIS SITTING ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD (Hebrews 1:3; 1 Peter 3:22; Ephesians 1:20).
1. This is to be understood in a figurative sense as denoting —
(1) Majesty and honour (2 Kings 2:19; Psalm 45:9).
(2) Power (Psalm 77:10).
2. Christ sitting here denotes —
(1) A state of rest (Micah 4:4; Hebrews 10:12).
(2) Continuance in that state (2 Kings 7:3).
3. It denotes —
(1) The accomplishment of that work, and the consummation of all those offices which He was to perform on earth for the redemption of sinners (Hebrews 4:10).
(2) The delight and satisfaction the Father had in Christ, and in that glorious work which He had finished (Psalm 110:1).
(3) The great honour and dignity to which He is advanced in heaven (Hebrews 1:13).
(4) His being invested with sovereign dominion and supreme authority and power (Hebrews 2:7-8).
4. The ends for which He sits.
(1) That as a mighty King He may protect and defend His Church and people against the rage of their enemies (Isaiah 32:1-2; Deuteronomy 33:26-27).
(2) That He may subdue all the enemies of His people (Psalm 110:1; Acts 2:36; Hebrews 10:12-13; 1 Corinthians 15:25).
(3) That with royal munificence He may dispense to His faithful subjects all these gifts and graces that may qualify them for glory (Acts 5:31).
(4) That He may act as a powerful intercessor for them (Romans 8:84).
(5) That all His friends and followers may with Him be translated into heaven and be advanced into the glorious state of kings and priests (Ephesians 1:4-6; Revelation 3:21).
(1) Behold the great difference between our Redeemer's earthly and heavenly state.
(2) How highly our nature is dignified and ennobled in the person of our Redeemer.
(3) This lets us see that the redemption of lost sinners was pleasing unto the Father.
(4) We should draw near to Him in all the duties of worship with the reverence that beseems His Majesty.
(5) Let this exalted Redeemer have your hands and your heart.
(6) Let this settle and compose the Lord's people with respect to the state and interests of Christ's kingdom (Isaiah 52:7).
IV. The last step is HIS COMING TO JUDGE THE WORLD.
(T. Boston, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: