And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.…
It is —
1. Real; not the delusive calm of a hollow truce, nor the deceitful tranquillity of stolid indifference and thoughtless apathy. An ice-bound river is at peace; a motionless corpse. In true peace there is life and activity as well as rest.
2. Great (Psalm 119:165; Isaiah 54:13) in its foundation, author, effect.
3. Abundant (Jeremiah 33:6), flowing in many channels, and filling the heart (Romans 15:13).
4. Abiding; secure and certain, a peace that lives independently of circumstances, "which the world can neither give nor take away," the unruffled undercurrent, beneath the grounds well of the Christian's sorrows; a peace not often disturbed, and never finally overthrown.
5. Incomprehensive, both to the men of this world and saints of God as well.
(G. S. Bowes, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.