From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
This definition may be divided into three parts.
I. A SORROWING for our sins.
1. This only is the penance whereto all the Scripture calleth us.
2. This penance do I now call you all unto.
3. This must be continually in us, and not merely for a Lent-season.
4. This must increase daily more and more in us.
5. Without this we cannot be saved.
II. EXAMINING our sins.
1. Outward evil springs out of inward corruption. This must be perfectly and spiritually understood if we will come to the true knowledge of our sins.
2. Therefore let us get God's law as a glass to look in, and that not only literally, outwardly, or partly, but also spiritually, inwardly, and thoroughly. For, as St. Austin saith, it is a, glass which feareth nobody; but even look what a one thou art, so it painteth thee out.
III. A trust of pardon.
IV. A purpose to amend, or a CONVERSION TO A NEW LIFE. Let your sorrowing for your evils demonstrate itself by departing from the evils you have used. Let your certainty of pardon of your sins through Christ, and your joy in Him, be demonstrated by pursuing the good things which God's Word teacheth you.
1. Repent your sins.
2. Believe in God's mercy for pardon.
3. Earnestly pursue a new life, bringing forth worthy and true fruits of repentance.
(John Bradford.)All who sincerely obey, and do what He hath commanded, may be properly said to serve Him
(1) By acknowledging the justice and goodness of His laws, and
(2) His power and authority over them;
(3) By loving, fearing, trusting, and believing on Him;
(4) By being sober, temperate, for the honour of His image enstamped on you;
(5) By being meek, patient, and thankful in all conditions, in whatsoever happens to you;
(6) By being humble and lowly in your own eyes;
(7) By being bountiful, kind, and merciful to others;
(8) By being just and righteous in all your dealings.
(William Beveridge, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.