And after six days Jesus takes Peter, James, and John his brother, and brings them up into an high mountain apart,…
1. We must no longer expect any visible or external manifestations of Christ to be made to us.
2. All Christ's true disciples have some manifestations or discoveries of Christ made to them.
3. All Christ's true disciples have not the same manifestations or discoveries made to them; some not taken to the mount. Now turn to the text: —
I. PETER'S PROPOSAL.
1. The principal thing right in it is the delight it manifests in the Redeemer's glory.
2. The wrong thing in it is a forgetfulness of the main business of life.
II. THE ANSWER GIVEN to Peter's proposal.
1. Our highest enjoyments are sometimes put an end to by God. A cloud came between them and the vision.
2. When God interrupts our enjoyments, He has always some other blessing ready for us, and generally better. The voice which came out of the cloud was something better.
3. We must not judge ourselves by religious ecstasy.
Parallel VersesKJV: And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,