Then Jesus went there, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.…
I. WHAT WE CAN FIND IN THIS WOMAN TO COMMEND.
1. Strong and wise parental love.
2. Her earnestness.
3. Deep humility.
II. WHAT OUR LORD HIMSELF ACTUALLY COMMENDED IN HER — "Great is thy faith." This virtue singled out because all others flow from it.
III. THE GRACIOUS TREATMENT SHE RECEIVED FROM OUR LORD.
1. Christ delayed His answer to her petition.
2. He gave her strength to persevere in prayer for it, and made that prayer more humble and earnest.
3. He put on her signal honour.
4. He at last gave her all that she desired.
5. There is often more love towards us in the heart of Christ than we can see in His dealings with us.
6. The prayer of faith is always crowned with success.
I. WHO THIS WOMAN was. She was not an Israelite. The cause of her sorrow was not her own. Her prayer.
II. HER SAVIOUR.
1. His silence when we should not have expected it.
2. He seems to plead that His commission had been exclusively to Israel.
3. He appears to add insult to cruelty.
4. He suffers Himself to be conquered by faith.
II. WHAT DOES THIS SAY TO YOU?
1. YOU may go to Christ for yourselves.
2. You may go to Christ for your relatives.
3. Jesus can and will do helpless sinners good.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.