And God said to Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar to God…
I. GOD REMINDS OF HIS BENEFACTIONS. "God, that appeared to thee," &c.
1. An incident of the past brought to mind.
2. The place of future dwelling indicated.
3. Continual worship required for continued favours. The altar should not be absent from the home.
II. THE BENEFACTOR'S WILL OBEYED (vers. 2, 3).
1. An immediate response. "Then."
2. A proposal for preparation. "Put away" — wrong thoughts, desires, purposes, practices.
3. A summons to Divine service. Self-devotion first, then concern for all whom we can influence.
III. THE BENEFACTOR'S GOODNESS ACKNOWLEDGED.
1. He declared God's supremacy.
2. He owned God's kindness.
3. He realized God's presence.
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.