1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…
I. THE TRUE CHARACTER OF THE CHRISTIAN'S HOPE.
1. It is lively in the sense of living. It is not delusive. It is no self-excited sentiment — the fruit of ignorance and presumption. It has a real, a well-defined, and well-ascertained existence in the heart.
2. It is a lively hope in the sense of activity. It produces courage, patience, holiness.
II. THE OBJECT OF THE CHRISTIAN'S HOPE. "An inheritance," etc.
III. THE METHOD OF ATTAINING THIS HOPE.
1. Its author is God. It is a Divine creation in the heart.
2. This gift of God is prompted by His abundant mercy.
3. Yet the mercy which restores hope to man is not indiscriminate — it is the mercy of righteousness.
4. The medium through which this blessing reaches us — "the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." This was pre eminently the Divine attestation of the truth of the Saviour's Messianic mission.
IV. THE SECURITY OR THE POSSESSORS OF THIS HOPE.
Parallel VersesKJV: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,