And seek you great things for yourself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil on all flesh, said the LORD…
I. THE EVIL DENOUNCED. It may be viewed under three aspects.
1. There are some who pursue worldly objects that are far above them.
2. There are some who pursue with undue eagerness worldly objects they might reasonably hope to attain.
3. There are some who pursue all classes of worldly objects in a selfish spirit.
II. THE REASONS WHY IT IS DENOUNCED.
1. Because it attaches excessive value to worldly objects.
2. Because it misapprehends the comparative advantages of the different ranks in the social scale.
3. Because it overlooks the duties which arise out of the relations we sustain to our race and our Maker.
4. Because it ignores all the facts, and objects, and interests, and blessings of the spiritual world. Address —
Parallel VersesKJV: And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the LORD: but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest.