Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents.
I. The truth here declared.
1. The joy mentioned is special.
2. The joy is shared, originated by God Himself.
II. THE CAUSE OF THE ANGELIC JOY.
1. A sinner.
2. Not the sinner while engaged in sin.
3. One sinner that repenteth.
4. Repentance stands before us here showing plainly two sides.
(1) Produced by the grace of God.
(2) A deliberate act on the part of the sinner. It is the confluence of these two streams that issues in true repentance.
III. WHY SUCH GLADNESS SHOULD BE SHOWN.
1. When a sinner repents, God's purpose is effected.
2. Christ's kingdom is enlarged.
3. A soul is saved.Conclusion:
1. Behold the value of a single soul.
2. Observe the necessity of repentance.
(W. S. Bruce, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.