And the LORD said to Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give you tables of stone, and a law…
I. That communion with God is NECESSARY.
1. For religious teachers.
2. For those engaged in business.
3. For parents, etc.
II. That SPECIAL PLACES are appointed for communion with God.
1. House of God.
2. Privacy of own chamber.
III. That PREPARATION should be made for communion with God (ver. 14; see Matthew 6:6).
1. Guard against interruptions from without.
2. Drive away worldly and anxious thoughts within.
IV. That communion with God should be most frequently ALONE.
1. Presence of others may distract mind or embarrass thoughts.
2. Presence of others may divert attention from personal concerns of soul.
3. Private sins and wants to be laid bare.
V. That in communion with God, THE PRESENCE OF OTHERS IS SOMETIMES HELPFUL AND EVEN NECESSARY. Family worship — prayer meetings — for those who have common wants, interests, etc.
VI. That communion with God is THE CONDITION UPON WHICH MAN MAY WITNESS THE DIVINE GLORY (vers. 16, 17; see Isaiah 6.)
VII. That communion with God MAY RE PROTRACTED, and man must not weary of it.
VIII. That among the purposes of communion with God, are RECOGNITION OF THE DIVINE AUTHORITY AND PREPARATION FOR FUTURE WORK.
(J. W. Burn.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.