Now I beseech you, brothers, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit…
1. The Christian is often —
2. This arises from —
(1) The labour and conflict of life.
(2) The world's spiritual barrenness.
1. In the means of grace — prayer, hearing, reading, singing, partaking of the Lord's Supper, and in Christian fellowship (Proverbs 27:17).
2. By Christ Himself. "Come unto Me," etc. (Psalm 23; Mark 6:31).
III. SHOULD BE ENJOYED.
1. The consequences of its enjoyment.
(1) Augmented strength.
(2) Invigorated courage.
(3) Happy feelings.
2. The consequences of its neglect.
(J. W. Burn.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;