And they said one to another, We are truly guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he sought us…
I. THE POSSESSION OF A GUILTY SECRET.
1. This secret bound them henceforward to a life of hypocrisy.
2. This secret filled them with constant anxiety.
3. This secret neutralized all healthful moral influence.
II. THE BLACK CLOUD OF SUSPICION DARKENED THEIR DAILY LIFE.
1. They were the objects of suspicion. Jacob refused to allow Benjamin in their company.
2. They were the subjects of suspicion. Living in dread of God and man.
III. THE EVER-DREADED, BUT INEVITABLE, EXPOSURE OF THEIR GUILT.
(J. C. Burnett.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they said one to another, We are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us.
WEB: They said one to another, "We are certainly guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the distress of his soul, when he begged us, and we wouldn't listen. Therefore this distress has come upon us."