And whatever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.…
I. THE IMPORTANT PRINCIPLE OF LOVE TO JESUS CHRIST. Consider this principle —
1. As to its nature. Love to Christ implies several things.
(1) A knowledge of Christ.
(2) Satisfaction with Christ.
(3) Esteem for Christ, and delight in Him.
2. In its causes. "He first loved us."
3. Consider this love in its characteristics. What should be the features of this love?
(1) It should be ardent. A flame burning intensely on the altar of the heart.
(2) It should be progressive. Cannot stand still.
(3) It should be preeminent.
4. In its importance (see 1 Corinthians 16:22).
II. THE EVIDENCE OF ITS POSSESSION. Obedience is the essential fruit of a renewed heart. Christ's commandments —
1. Are revealed. They are left on the pages of Holy Writ.
2. They are sometimes difficult. Hence self-denial and cross-bearing are always so.
3. They are always practicable. "I can do all things through Christ strengthening me."
4. They are indispensable. Not to be despised or neglected. Essential to Christ's favour, and our own comfort.
1. Right obedience to Christ is humble, universal, and hearty. It does not question, or choose, or obey reluctantly.
2. Christ's order seems this: Hear, repent, believe, be baptized, and then do whatsoever else I command you.
(Jabez Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.