And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying…
It is not well to overlook the influence of children, or to neglect them in making our efforts for the universal diffusion of the gospel. Let us:
I. ASCERTAIN WHAT IS REQUISITE IN CHILDREN IF THEY WOULD PROMOTE THE CAUSE OF JESUS. That they should have
(1) a correct knowledge of the state of the heathen;
(2) just views of the gospel as adapted to save them;
(3) right conceptions of the value of immortal souls;
(4) experimental knowledge of the love of Christ.
II. WHAT CHILDREN MAY DO FOR CARRYING ON THE BLESSED CAUSE OF JESUS IN THE WORLD. They can —
(1) contribute of their means;
(2) collect from others;
(3) pray for God's blessing to attend their efforts and give success;
(4) some children might seek gifts and talents for missionary work.
III. WHAT SHOULD INDUCE CHILDREN THUS TO FEEL AND WORD IN THE CAUSE OF CHRIST?
1. Gratitude to God for His goodness to them.
2. God's command.
3. Their own happiness.
(J. Burns, LL. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased,