And Moses called all Israel, and said to them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day…
I. THIS TEXT APPLIES TO MANY THIS DAY TO WHOM IT WAS NOT APPLICABLE LAST YEAR. Thousands have been born in the course of this year.
II. THE TEXT APPLIED TO MANY LAST YEAR TO WHOM IT IS NOT NOW APPLICABLE. They were then alive, but now they are inhabitants of the tomb, and their souls have entered the eternal state. Of these, many classes might be specified.
1. Some who were expecting it. Aged, infirm, afflicted, who were daily awaiting their dismissal.
2. Some who were reckoning on many years to come. Young, healthy, hearts full of life; but they perished as the flower. "Their sun went down while it was yet day."
3. Some, we fear, died unprepared. Aliens to God; strangers to repentance, faith, and holiness.
4. Many, we trust, died in the Lord. Race ended; warfare accomplished; crown received; forever with the Lord.
III. THE TEXT IS APPLICABLE TO ALL THOSE NOW ASSEMBLED. "We are all alive here this day."
1. And it is wonderful that we are so. Amidst so many dangers, diseases, and death.
2. Is entirely owing to the goodness and patience of God.
3. We are alive under increasing responsibilities. Many blessings have been given to us this year, for all of which we must give an account: talents, time, opportunities, Sabbaths, sermons, etc.
4. Being alive should fill us with hearty gratitude to God. Our lips, hearts, and lives should show forth His praise.
5. As we are alive, let us now resolve to live more than ever to God, and for eternity.
IV. IT IS HIGHLY PROBABLE THAT THE TEXT IS NOW APPLICABLE TO SOME HERE FOR THE LAST TIME.
(J. Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.