After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am your shield…
I. THE RIGHTEOUS REQUIRE A SHIELD.
II. IN WHAT RESPECTS GOD IS THEIR SHIELD.
1. He is the shield of their substance.
2. He is the shield of their bodies.
3. He is the shield of their souls.
III. THE PECULIAR EXCELLENCES OF THIS SHIELD.
1. It is omnipotent.
2. It is a perpetual shield.
3. A universal shield.
4. The only shield.
1. Let saints cleave to the Lord, and thus avail themselves of this invaluable shield. Faith and prayer encircle us with God's protecting and preserving power.
2. Be grateful for it. How we ought to exult in it, and give God constant and hearty thanks for it.
3. How awful is the condition of the sinner. Not only without this shield, but in opposition to God, and exposed to His Divine power and wrath.
(J. Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.