And after six days Jesus takes Peter, James, and John his brother, and brings them up into an high mountain apart,…
I. THE PLACE. The mountain emblematical of God's sanctuary. As distinctly separate from the world. As the place of happy intercourse with kindred minds. As a place of hallowed instruction. As a place of glorious manifestation.
II. THE ADVANTAGES. It is good — As it is acceptable to God, as it is elevating to the mind, as it is joyous to the heart, as it is truly profitable to the soul, as it prepares us for the services of heaven.
III. THE SPIRIT WHICH IT SHOULD PRODUCE. A spirit of diligence in rightly using the means of grace, of love and zeal for the prosperity of Zion, of ardent longing for the perfected scenes of heaven. Application: Can you experimentally employ the language of the text? Seek the end of these Christian ordinances.
(J. Burns, LL. D.)
I. THIS IS MY BELOVED SON.
1. The Father here comes forth from His concealment, and audibly addresses the disciples.
2. The momentous truth to which He bears witness is — the Sonship of Christ. This showed Divine love to man. This constituted Christ's fitness for the work of redemption. This forms the basis of our confidence in the atonement.
3. He characterizes Christ as His beloved Son.
4. For such a declaration there was the most urgent call. It had a reference to Christ, as about to have His Father's face hid, etc. It had a reference to His disciples, as about to be tried.
II. IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED.
1. The Father having declared His paternal love, next declares His satisfaction and complacency in Christ as the Surety of man. This regarded His Person, offices, work, people.
2. This testimony was repeated at His resurrection, exaltation, outpouring of the Spirit, every instance of a sinner's being saved.
III. HEAR YE HIM. As a Lawgiver and King, as a Prophet. The manner in which He is heard.
Parallel VersesKJV: And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,