And he began to speak to them by parables. A certain man planted a vineyard, and set an hedge about it, and dig a place for the winefat…
The Saviour here applies an ancient prediction to Himself (ver. 10), "And have ye not read," etc. Our present design is the consideration of the words of our text as they will properly apply to us.
I. THE DIGNIFIED CHARACTER OF CHRIST. "God's well-beloved Son." This representation presents Jesus to us.
1. In His divine nature.
2. As the object of the Father's delight (Isaiah 13:1; John 17:24).
II. THE MISSION OF CHRIST. "He sent Him also." God had sent His prophets and ministering servants to teach, to warn, and reveal His will to His people; but, last of all, He sent His Son.
1. From whence? From His own bosom (John 1:18).
2. To whom was He sent? To a world of sinners.
3. For what was He sent? To be the Saviour of the world; to restore men to the favour, image, and enjoyment of God.
(1) He came to destroy the works of the devil and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth.
(2) He was sent to illumine a dark world by the doctrines of the gospel.
(3) To recover an alienated world by His power and grace.
(4) To redeem an accursed world by His death upon the cross.
(5) To purify a polluted world by His spirit and blood.
III. THE REVERENCE GOD DEMANDS ON BEHALF OF HIS SON. Let us ascertain —
1. The manner in which this reverence should be evinced.
(1) By adoring love of His person.
(2) By cheerful obedience to His authority.
(3) By studious imitation of His example.
(4) By ardent zeal for His glory; making Christ's interest our own; living to spread His name.
2. The grounds of this reverence.
(1) Think of the glory of His person.
(2) The purity of His character.
(3) The riches of His grace.
(4) The preciousness of His benefits.
(5) The terribleness of His wrath.
1. Address sinners. Rejection of Christ will involve you in endless wrath and ruin.
2. Saints. Aver your reverence for Christ. Not only cherish it, but exhibit it. Fearlessly profess Him before men, and ever live to the glory of His name.
(J. Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he began to speak unto them by parables. A certain man planted a vineyard, and set an hedge about it, and digged a place for the winefat, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country.