And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:…
We must consider what we are to understand.
I. BY THE WEDDING GARMENT. It is the costume or spiritual dress necessary for the enjoyment of heaven — holiness often described as a garment (Job 29:14; Isaiah 61:10; Psalm 45:13; Revelation 3:18;. 7:9).
II. THE SOLEMN SCRUTINY.
1. Was Divine.
2. Was personal, Religion is a personal concern.
III. THE AWFUL DETECTION. We may form three conjectureS as to this robeless character.
1. It might have resulted from carelessness. He did not attend to the requirements of the king, etc. How many like him, etc. 2.:From procrastination. How many Such are always in God's house.
3. From proud and wicked preference. Perhaps thought it not essential; had other views; would trust in the mercy of the king, or his own beautiful habiliments. How many of this class are there!
IV. THE AWFUL INVESTIGATION.
1. It was public. Before all the guests. The enemies of Christ will be publicly confounded at the last day; clothed with shame and contempt.
2. It was reasonable. It gave an opportunity for the exhibition of righteousness. God will allow the sinner to plead.
3. It was overwhelming. He had no reason to assign, hence he was confounded.
V. THE DREADFUL PUNISHMENT.
1. The removal.
2. The sentence.
3. The misery.Application.
1. Now, all that is necessary for heaven may be obtained, and that by all.
2. Let professors examine themselves, etc.
3. Let sinners be entreated. Listen to the voice of the gospel and live.
(J. Burns, LL. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: