Then were the king's scribes called on the thirteenth day of the first month…
I. HERE IS UNSEEMLY HASTE.
II. HERE ARE INCONSISTENT PRECURSORY MEASURES. Wickedness renders a man inconsistent. Revenge impelled to action, but conscience still spoke in reproving tones. All must be done according to law. Obedience to the eternal law of right is the only method by which human lives can be rendered consistent and harmonious.
III. HERE IS A LOW ESTIMATE OF HUMAN LIFE, shown —
1. In the unmethodical nature of the slaughter designed.
2. In the indiscriminate nature of the slaughter designed.
3. In the rapacity after property. Life versus property. This decree is one of the unwritten decrees of modern civilisation.
IV. HERE IS WICKEDNESS BOLSTERED UP BY HUMAN AUTHORITY. Learn —
1. Great men should try to get a true idea of the importance of human life.
2. Statesmen should remember that the true wealth of a community is its men.
3. All ought to remember that life is ignoble when passion is allowed to rule.
(W. Burrows, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then were the king's scribes called on the thirteenth day of the first month, and there was written according to all that Haman had commanded unto the king's lieutenants, and to the governors that were over every province, and to the rulers of every people of every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language; in the name of king Ahasuerus was it written, and sealed with the king's ring.
WEB: Then the king's scribes were called in on the first month, on the thirteenth day of the month; and all that Haman commanded was written to the king's satraps, and to the governors who were over every province, and to the princes of every people, to every province according its writing, and to every people in their language. It was written in the name of King Ahasuerus, and it was sealed with the king's ring.