Your kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
I. Let us observe the fact that the consummate blessing is To COME. There is a better era for men to come. I refer to this prospective attitude of Christianity because it exhibits two characteristics worthy of notice.
1. It is in accordance with the general working of God. Progress is His law. Christianity is not a fixed system.
2. The wise benevolence of such a position. By proclaiming a better era it gives individuals and the race the loftiest inspiration of hope.
II. Consider some INDICATIONS OF THAT COMING.
1. AS its coming is gradual we cannot expect to discover great advancement within any narrow scope of time.
2. That the kingdom of God is coming is indicated by the fact that the most civilized communities of the world are in a far better condition now than before the advent of Jesus, especially in point of morality.
III. The ESSENTIAL NATURE of this kingdom.
1. Considered externally, it is an historical fact, and has an organized form.
2. This kingdom is also internal, it is spiritual.
3. As to the advancement of that kingdom do not let us cherish conceptions which are calculated to discourage our exertions.
(E. H. Chaplin.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.