And he said to them, When you pray, say, Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done…
Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. A few very short words with a very large meaning. We may ask what doing God's will here on earth as in heaven -
I. WOULD MEAN TO OUR RACE. It would mean very much more than the triumph of the Strong One.
1. It would mean the rule of the absolutely Holy One - of that One who only wills that which is pure, just, good, in every possible relation. It would mean, therefore, the abolition of all wrongs of every kind, and the establishment of the right and the true in every scene and sphere.
2. Also the guidance of the perfectly Wise One - of that One who chooses the very best means to secure the right ends. It would bring about the adoption of the wisest course in the pursuit of every worthy aim.
3. Also the supremacy of the altogether Benevolent One - of him who desires the 'perfect welfare of all his creatures, of all his children - their temporal prosperity, their spiritual well-being.
II. WOULD MEAN TO OURSELVES. The light in which it would present itself to our minds would, perhaps, be this - that our Divine Father was exalted to the throne of humanity; that he whom we worship and whom we love and obey had become the object of the reverence, the affection, the obedience, of all mankind; that he who, in our heart's deepest convictions, is alone worthy to receive the homage of the race, was receiving it; and in that crowning triumph we should find our victory and our joy.
III. DEMANDS OF US THAT IT MAY BE REALIZED.
1. And the first demand is that we ourselves become subject to his holy will. And to do this we must
(1) accept his Son as our Divine Teacher, Redeemer, Lord (John 7:29; 1 John 3:23);
(2) live in daily obedience to his will as revealed in his Word;
(3) bow in meekness of spirit to his will, whatever he may ordain for us.
2. And the second is that we seek, in prayer for his transforming influence, that the will of evil men may be overthrown, and his holy will be done; that he would send forth noble workers into the great harvest-field (Luke 10:2); that he would greatly bless the labors of those who are sowing the seed of the kingdom, and cause it to multiply a hundredfold.
3. And that by our lives and by our lips we commend the truth of his Word, the gospel of his grace, to the understanding and the conscience of all whom we can affect. - C.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.