1 Chronicles 22:16
Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with you.
I. EVERY GOOD MAN HAS AN IMPORTANT WORK TO DO IN HIS DAY AND GENERATION.
1. We have much to do for ourselves in the cultivation of our own minds, the improvement of our hearts, and the faithful application of our various talents.
2. We have much to do for the conversion of others.
3. We have much to do for God.
II. IT BEHOVES US TO ADDRESS OURSELVES TO THIS WORK WITH ACTIVITY, ZEAL, AND ENERGY.
1. Reason dictates this.
2. Gratitude impels it.
3. The brevity of life calls for this.
4. The solemn account we shall have to give should further stimulate us to zeal, activity, and energy.
5. The example of Christ tells us to "Arise and be doing."
III. WHEN OCCUPYING OUR TALENTS IN THE EXERCISE OF OUR BEST EFFORTS WE MAY CONFIDENTLY LOOK FOR THE PRESENCE AND BLESSING OF GOD. "And the Lord be with thee." This might be rendered, "The Lord shall be with thee."
1. There is a general presence of God with His people, which they enjoy in common with all mankind.
2. There is an especial presence of God with His people, which is the promise of His covenant.Reflections: This subject will —
1. Reprove the idler.
2. Admonish those who are attempting to work without due dependence upon God.
3. Heaven is a place of ceaseless activity.
Parallel VersesKJV: Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with thee.