Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
I. THE NECESSITY OF THIS EXHORTATION. This arises from —
1. The ignorance and inexperience of youth.
2. Those constitutional inclinations which predominate in some more than in others.
3. The temptations by which youth is surrounded.
4. The vast importance of commencing well a course of life.
II. THE CHARACTER OF THAT SOBER MINDEDNESS WHICH THE TEXT RECOMMENDS.
1. Its basis. Reverence for God, contrition for sin, etc.
2. Its contrasts. Pride, rashness, obstinacy, petulance, sullenness, presumption, etc.
3. Its objects. It should make you moderate in all things, etc.
III. THE ADVANTAGES WHICH RESULT FROM THE POSSESSION AND DISPLAY OF THIS SOBER MINDEDNESS.
1. It will qualify you for your relations to society.
2. It will greatly contribute to your usefulness wherever you are placed.
3. It will greatly increase your comfort.
Parallel VersesKJV: Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.