Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.…
I. ITS PERPETUAL OBLIGATION.
1. Its early Divine institution.
2. The uninterrupted observance of this day.
3. Though the day be changed under the Christian dispensation, the obligation of it remains unaltered.
4. God has eminently honoured and signally blessed this day in every age of time. "Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."
II. THE MANNER OF ITS OBSERVANCE.
1. This requires, first, that we should diligently prepare for its approach.
2. We must carefully watch against the profanation of it.
3. There is required by this command an entire cessation from secular and worldly occupations.
4. The observation of the Sabbath requires the religious appropriation and occupation of all its hours.
5. We should guard against the two extremes, of excessive rigour on the one hand, and of excessive relaxation on the other hand, in our regard to this sacred institution.
Parallel VersesKJV: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.