Why God also has highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
involves the two stupendous facts which close Christ's earthly career.
I. THE EVIDENCE OF THE FACT OF CHRIST'S RESURRECTION.
II. THE EVIDENCE OF OUR LORD'S ASCENSION IS ALSO CLEAR.
1. It is twice recorded by St. Luke.
2. It was public.
3. It was predicted by Christ.
4. The promise of the Holy Spirit which was to follow it was fulfilled.
5. It formed a staple doctrine of apostolic teaching.
6. The Christian doctrine of heaven depends upon the fact that Christ ascended to the Father (John 14:1, etc.).
III. WHAT FOLLOWS FROM OUR LORD'S RESURRECTION AND ASCENSION.
1. The glorified Christ has received a name that is above every name.
(1) That name stands for the reality it implies — Saviour.
(2) The name has accrued to Him because in what He is, has done, is doing, and will do, the rich meaning of the name is realized.
(3) The name is above because including every other name.
(4) In it believers glory, by it hearts are won, before it heaven bows in worship, at it hell trembles with fear.
2. To this exalted Saviour all dominion is entrusted.
(1) Heaven, with its angels, principalities, and powers.
(2) Earth — men, forces, empires.
(3) The underworld — His widest human dominion.
3. That dominion will be universally acknowledged (John 6:38-40; Revelation 1:7; 2 Corinthians 5:10; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10; 1 Corinthians 15:24-28).
IV. THE ULTIMATE END AND AIM OF THE SAVIOUR'S MEDIATORIAL REIGN WILL BE THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER.
1. The Redeemer looked for this — "Father, glorify thy Son!" etc.
2. The mediatorial work was undertaken and discharged with reference to this.
(C. Clemance, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: