Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
I. To WHOM THESE WORDS WERE ADDRESSED.
1. They were not addressed indiscriminately to the people.
2. They were addressed to His chosen disciples.
3. The same distinction must be observed when these words are applied to ourselves.
II. THE SPIRITUAL IMPORT OF THESE WORDS WHEN THUS APPLIED.
1. What the faithful disciples saw — "the Lord's Christ."
2. How it was the disciples saw those things in Him.
3. Unspeakably blessed are they who thus see. Are you in possession of these privileges? what do you know of them?
(1) Do you know that you are destitute of them?
(2) Do you humbly hope that light has visited your soul, but lament how dim it is?
(F. Close. M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.